Tuesday, August 4, 2009

"The Fugly Twuth"

More narcissistic goodies...

Here is a video, titled "The Fugly Twuth" or "F Twitter," that I was also forwarded not that long ago. It is a hilarious, homevideo Twitter -rant featuring Shane Nickerson, who is the co-executive producer of the T.V. shows "Rob & Big" and "Rob Dyrdek's Fantasy Factory" on MTV. Now the video needs to come with a disclaimer: Nickerson drops the F* bomb multiple, multiple times and he also seems to be recording this as he is driving, which is even more unsettling to me. But the profanity and wreckless driving aside, Nickerson provides a histarically insightful commentary on the narcissistic and obsessive behaviors that Twitter users begin to elicit after joining the community.

Nickerson dramatically reenacts the life of a Twitter addict; how one's days are comprised of constant wondering of who is Twittering and the intense craving to log on and see what is indeed going on. He vocalizes the self-conscious behavior and neurotic inner dialogue that goes behind a Tweet: "Maybe if I write something like this I will get re-tweeted. Please, re-tweet me!...I need to re-tweet that...I need to re-tweet myself.... RT @shanenickerson I rule RT." He comically explains the preoccupation with follower count and the panic behind the realization that you lost a follower. All in all, his 3 minute video clip is an authentic and insightful comedic portrayal of how Twitter can consume is user base.

Although I feel that the profanity could have indeed been left out, I think this video nonetheless has value. Here's an idea: I think that once a Twitter user Tweets their 20th Tweet they should be forced to watch this video. Or the first time a person exceeds 5 tweets a day, they should have to watch it. OR, when they reach 60 followers, guess what? They get to watch the video. Seeing a person hit rock bottom, as Nickerson depicts, can be a sobering experience...

So kudos, Shane Nickerson. You hit the nail on the head. Watch the video (with the disclaimer in mind!):

F Twitter from Shane Nickerson on Vimeo.



No comments:

Post a Comment